Tuesday, February 3, 2015

LearnPad Related Dialogue

This is most recent from jamie Debicella at St catherine of Siena School in Trumbull, CT:

Hi all,

     I just wanted to let you know that I have made some serious headway with pressuring LearnPad to implement more content to their US software portal. Specifically, we are up 4,000 applications since November. I feel that this is a common complaint that is being voiced by institutions across the country that bought into the "hype," and LearnPad UK is slowly getting the point. 

      I have been pushing Lisa Van Weide, a head Director/Manager at LP USA, to live up to the company slogan "Designed for the classroom, not adapted to it" by offering a more streamlined way for educators to purchase the full access versions of apps that they want via the LearnPad content store. 

       With many initial reservations, I went along with Lisa's request to act as the liaison between software developer Intellijoy and LearnPad in facilitating the purchase of Intellijoy's educational applications. Lane and I picked out certain apps that we found particularly suitable for pre-k, I enticed Intellijoy with a potential sale, and then backed out due to confusion and thin communication as to how exactly our purchased software would be loaded onto the devices. Basically, I was told as the end-user, I would have to sit here myself and install each file on each device separately. I am hoping that my expressed concerns and reservations about this process will prompt developer Intellijoy to put some pressure on device manufacturer LearnPad to make good on their end to make more content available via their streamlined content portal. 

     That being said, I still think these LearnPads are valuable tools for classroom differentiation. We are going to totally get rid of the system of enrollment that Lisa tried to implement on November 4th and go with a system I have developed to try and simplify things. I really think teachers are "afraid" to take out the tablets for fear of "messing something up," when in fact, the devices are for all of us to use.

     I am going to also try and work out an after school day of PD hosted by myself and offered to SCSS teachers who choose to take advantage of the tablets and chromebooks once those are procured and implemented.

     I just wanted to give an update as to where we stand with LearnPad. I am also waiting on the return process to be authorized for our (13) defective units. Stay tuned.

     Thanks everyone!

- Jamie 

--
Jamie Debicella

MA American Studies, Fairfield University

Phi Beta Kappa, Zeta Chapter Member

4 comments:

  1. At Our Lady of Fatima, we only have 6 Learnpads Currently and I have worked to train a few teachers at a time to use them in the classroom. The idea was to train a teacher from the elementary, intermediate, and middle school classes and then use them as trainers for their peers. It has been slow going - getting everyone on board and using them in small groups but I think the teachers, that have taken the time to explore the portal, are really seeing the benefits. I have had ZERO PD on these tablets (other than an initial setup webinar) and have taken a learn as you go type attitude. I would be MORE THAN interested in linking up with someone that has more training and/or joining in on any PD that is available. We are currently trying to raise funds to purchase more Learnpad devices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the type of 'PD' that we can surely do remotely using Google Hangouts... or meet as a small group off schedule... if anyone is up for that. Our personal time is just that - so i don't readily expect anyone to give that up - but it is an option. Otherwise, carefully planned and timed sessions 'after school' for an hour here and there might be a good choice. Let us know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OLA in Fairfield is having a PD with a rep on the 11th for the LearnPads with myself, and the middle school teachers... perhaps there is a way you can remote in or join if you'd like? It is, however, right after school, I think around 3:30.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for that offer!!! - I will certainly look into any options for that day - remotely would be best as it would be hard to get there by 3:30. I am a Kindergarten teacher and would benefit from lower grade PD but I am sure there is something I can pass along to our Middle School teachers....

    ReplyDelete